Looking back 50 and 25 years from The Daily Advertiser by the Wagga Wagga & District Historical Society.

PRODUCE: South Wagga Annex Parents and Citizens holding a street stall in Gurwood Street in July 1956. Picture: Lennon Collection CSURA RW1574.263

PRODUCE: South Wagga Annex Parents and Citizens holding a street stall in Gurwood Street in July 1956. Picture: Lennon Collection CSURA RW1574.263

25 YEARS AGO

More than 1000 women are attending the 71st annual State Conference of the Country Women’s Association which was opened in Wagga by Premier, John Fahey.

Member for Riverina, Noel Hicks, opened stages two and three at Mater Dei Primary School, along with school principal, Alan Bowyer and Father Wilf Plunkett who blessed the building.

Wagga’s Mayor, Pat Brassil has spoken out on plans by the Department of Housing to downgrade its Wagga presence in favour of Queanbeyan.

Wal Fife who is retiring after serving in state and federal politics for 35 consecutive years was thanked at a gathering of more than 200 people at the Wagga RSL Club.

Former Alderman, Spiros Stathis attacked Wagga City Council over plans to spend $23,000 on a mural at Wagga Airport.

The pairing of two openers from Wagga, Michael Slater and Mark Taylor gave Australia a strong start in the first Ashes cricket Test Match at Old Trafford.

Opposition Health spokesman, Andrew Refshauge said that there were 1323 people on the Wagga Base Hospital waiting list.

Wagga schoolgirls, Sarah Sharpe and Catherine Lawson were named in the Riverina Combined High Schools netball team to compete in the state finals to be held in Orange.

Wagga TAFE is offering a brand new full-time Sheep and Wool Production Course.

MUSIC: Wagga’s first Bandstand in 1887 was the Victoria Pavilion and located in the Town Hall Gardens, later moving to the Teachers College and finally in 1980 relocated to the CSU South Campus.

MUSIC: Wagga’s first Bandstand in 1887 was the Victoria Pavilion and located in the Town Hall Gardens, later moving to the Teachers College and finally in 1980 relocated to the CSU South Campus.

50 YEARS AGO

The Bishop of Wagga, the Most Rev. F P Carroll blessed the foundation stone of the new San Isidore Catholic Church.

Mr and Mrs Xenophon Stathis closed their cafe in Fitzmaurice Street ending the cafe’s 46-year history.

Miss Julie Gorrel was pictured in The Daily Advertiser with her parents and brother Graham at her 21st birthday party on Saturday night.

Kyeamba Shire Engineer, Graham Burns, said that a new speed limit of 45m/h now applied along the six miles stretch of the Sturt Highway between Wagga and Forest Hill.

Packets of six crumpets are 12 cents and 29 oz tins of Leetona peaches or pears just 24 cents at Woolworths.

Mr M Kerlin was elected president of the Wagga Home of Compassion auxiliary with secretary Miss M Breen and treasurer Miss E Reagan.

Mrs Phyl Merrett won an electric blanket in competition at the Wagga Bowling Centre.

The new James Bond movie, Casino Royale is showing at Hoyts Drive-In.

This story Mater Dei opens, Slater and Taylor shine: 25 years ago first appeared on The Daily Advertiser (Suzuka2).