Hume Football League: round two

CULCAIRN has bounced back from its first-round loss to upset premiership favourites Brock Burrum Saints at Culcairn.

The Lions dominated the game in the first three quarters, coasting home in trying conditions to win impressively by 22 points.

The Saints’ loss compounded a bad week with playing coach Kade Stevens getting the news his broken hand from round one will see him miss eight weeks.

They will however gain the services of former Lavington player Kade Garland, who has reversed his decision to play for Turvey Park in the Riverina Football League.

Adam Eady and Dane Hallinan dominated for Culcairn in the midfield while Hayden Smith made a good transition up forward with three goals.

The Saints got some respect back on the scoreboard keeping the Lions scoreless in the final term.

Nico Sedgwick was the best for the visitors.


RAND Walbundrie Walla and Holbrook played out a thrilling draw in an error-riddled encounter at Rand in horrendous windy conditions.

With wind and dust storms blowing prior to the rain, scoring at the northern end of the ground was blank for the entire first half.

The final scoreline said it all with Holbrook 4-9 and Giants 5-3.

Both sides were undermanned with Holbrook missing eight and RWW three players.

The Brookers lost coach Matt Sharp to a calf injury during Thursday night training, which will see him miss a month of football.

The Giants’ potent forward line was nullified in the conditions with Holbrook’s Brock Knights, Curtis Steele and David Tassell doing a great job down back.

The Brookers took advantage of the breeze in the first term to kick three goals, but were held to just one more in the last three quarters.

Chris Duck continued his good start to the season with a polished display.

Justin Gordon, Tom Simmons and Thomas Plunkett also starred for the Giants.


JINDERA gained some consolation for last year’s grand final loss to Osborne, by defeating the Cats at Jindera by seven points in a cracking contest.

With a strong first half breeze favoring the Albury end, Osborne started well with it, before Jindera hit back in the second term to trail by just five points at the long break.

The Bulldogs saved their best for the second half as Trent Castles began to dominate up forward and Nathan Chamings and Rhys Preston solid in midfield.

Mitchell Wickham was best for Osborne, while Bill Alexander, Jamie Parr and Matt Rava provided plenty of midfield drive.

Castles finished with four goals for Jindera, while Alexander and Sam Rutland both kicked three for Osborne.

In a quirky occurrence, it was the fourth time Osborne has played Jindera in its last five matches.

They played round 18 and two finals to finish last year.

The Jindera club was also celebrating its ten year anniversary when it defeated Osborne in the 2008 Hume Football League grand final.


HENTY made it two wins to start the season by easily accounting for CDHBU at Henty winning by 59 points in very blustery conditions.

The Swampies’ latest recruit, Jarrah Maksymow, impressed on debut kicking four goals, with Damien Cupido and coach Joel Price both booting two goals.

Former Holbrook junior Harry Nunn was best on ground for Henty, with Chris Willis and Dylan Hore not far behind.

For the visitors Mick Collins was terrific with his long kicking a real highlight. Tim Cooper and Liam Butler were other good performers for the combine.


LOCKHART suffered its second loss for the season when the side travelled into Urana Road Oval and lost to Murray Magpies by 38 points.

In a scrappy affair, the Magpies outscored the Demons in every quarter to run out deserving winners, with Alex Popko and Tom Osmotherly best.

Jamie Clough, Zachary Sheather and Wylie Harrington tried hard for the Demons.

Jack Muldoon was the only multiple goal kicker with two.


HOWLONG survived a huge scare against a much improved Billabong Crows, getting on top in the second half to win by 13 points.

The Crows started strongly after its round one win and with a 11-point lead at half-time an upset was brewing.

Both sides were best served by the young guns with the Spiders’ Charlie Hamilton and the Crows’ George Sandral named best.

Howlong certainly finished the stronger kicking five goals to one in the second half to stay undefeated and in second place on the ladder.


  • Brock Burrum v Rand Walb Walla (at Brocklesby)
  • Holbrook v Murray Magpies
  • Jindera v Henty
  • Lockhart v Howlong
  • Osborne v Culcairn
  • Billabong Crows v CDHBU (at Urana)
This story Lions roar back over Saints in Hume league | Photos first appeared on Eastern Riverina Chronicle.